2. Can the American flag touch the ground?
Yes or No?
3. What part of the flag should be showing when it is folded?
A. The stars
B. The stripes
C. Both the stars and the stripes
4. What shape should the flag be folded in?
A. A square
B. A circle
C. A hexagon
D. A triangle
5. At what pace should the flag be raised?
D. It doesn’t matter
6. At what pace should the flag be lowered?
D. It doesn’t matter
7. When the flag is raised to half-staff, what must one do?
A. Slowly raise the flag to half-staff
B. Quickly raise the flag to half-staff
C. Raise the flag to full-staff for an instant and then lower it to half-staff
D. Raise the flag to full-staff, keep it there for a half-hour, then lower it to half-staff
8. How should the flag be placed on top of a casket?
A. With the union at the foot and on the left
B. With the union at the head and over the right shoulder
C. With the union at the foot and on the right
D. With the union at the head and over the left shoulder
9. When can the flag be flown upside-down?
A. In mourning
B. As a distress signal
C. In preparation for retiring the flag
D. During 9/11
10. How do you retire a flag?
A. Burn it in a dignified manner
B. Throw it away
C. Ceremoniously bury it with a casket
D. Put it in a time capsule
11. Who can the flag be dipped (bowed) to?
A. The U.S. president
B. A Purple Heart recipient
D. A War Veteran
12. How old was the person
who designed the current
version of the U.S. flag?
13. When was the current
version of the U.S. flag designed?
14. How many U.S. flags are
currently stationed on the moon?
15. How many folds does it
usually take to fold the flag properly?
1. C; 2. No; 3. A; 4. D; 5. A; 6. B; 7. C; 8. D; 9. B; 10. A; 11. C; 12. A; 13. D; 14. C; 15. B
- The 13 stripes on the American flag represent the 13 original colonies: Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Virginia.
- The current version of the U.S. flag was designed by Robert Heft, who designed it for a class project. He earned a B- originally for the project, though Heft’s teacher compromised and promised to award him a better grade if he could get the US Congress to accept his flag.
- There are six American Flags on the moon from the six successful manned lunar landings:Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17.