KC theatre students are working every day on their next play, “Amadeus” by Peter Shaffer. The play premieres 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28, and continues playing at 7:30 p.m. through Saturday, Dec. 1, followed by a 2:30 p.m. matinee Sunday, Dec. 2, in the Van Cliburn Auditorium.
“Amadeus” is about the rivalry between the classical composers, Antonio Salieri and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Theatre director Kathy Barber said she chose this play because it is a good example of fine dramatic literature, it is theatrical, it is about one of her favorite classical composers, it fits her group of students and she loves period pieces.
The play takes place in 18th century Vienna. The set will not have any doors or walls, but will feature a deck made to look like wood flooring or marble, two ornate columns and a chandelier.
Barber said all plays have challenges, but this play requires a strong ensemble, a large cast and is highly technical. There are many light cues, sound cues, projections and the cyclorama will be used to give the sense of different locations throughout the play.
Michael Atkins is the set designer/director for the play.
The leads will be played by Joshua Wallace, Van sophomore, and Trenton Bennett, Longview sophomore. Wallace and Bennett also played leads together in a previous play, “The Diviners.”
“They work very effectively with one another and this play will offer them a great challenge,” Barber said. “I believe our students are up for the task. It should be a great learning experience for us all.”
CAST FOR AMADEUS
- Antonio Salieri – Joshua Wallace
- Amadeus Mozart – Trent Bennett
- Constanze Weber – Jo Walker
- Emperor Joseph II – Dustin Kincaide
- Count Strack – Jay Williams
- Count Orsini – Rosenberg – Jonah Copeland
- Baron van Swieten – Cody Carson
- Venticello # 1 – Ben Bolin
- Venticello # 2 – Christian Livsey
- Major – Domo and Salieri’s Cook – Demarcus Armstrong
- Salierei’s Valet – D.J. Martelly
- Teresa Salieri – Brandi Farrell
- Katherine Cavalieri – Cheyenne Hortman
- Ensemble – Avery Neuendorff, Dustin Kincaide, Jay Williams, Jonah Copeland, Cody Carson, Ben Bolin, Christian Livsey, Demarcus Armstrong, Brandi Farrell, and Cheyenne Hortman
- 1st Assistant to the Director – Brandi Farrell
- 2nd Assistant to the Director – Christian Livsey
- Stage Manager – Cody Carson
- Asst. to Stage Manager – Dustin Kincaide
- Sound Board Operator – Ashley Jackson