If I had only known: campus advice from KC students

Hayley Young / THE FLARE

Brittani Pfau and Ashton Johnson
Co-Executive Editors

…that I could only drop a developmental class three times (27 hours).
Students who drop a developmental course three times, exceeding the 27-hour college career limit, will be charged an extra fee of $70 per semester hour.

…that I had to pay my fines before I can register for classes, receive a transcript or look at my grades.
Students who have library fines or unpaid KCPD parking fines are not eligible to register or look at grades after they have been posted.

…that I could take the leftover financial aid on my KC ID and transfer the money to my own bank account.
There is an ATM located in the Devall Student Center where students can withdraw money.

…that I could see what other students thought about teachers before I sign up for their classes.
Students can go to kilgore.edu and look under the catalog and schedules tab and scroll down to click on course syllabi, instructor vita and course evaluations to look up instructor ratings.

…that it would have been a good idea to put KCPD’s phone number in my cell phone.
Call KCPD at 903-983-8650 for help when you lock your keys in the car, when a car battery is dead or you need an escort to your car after night classes.
…that there was a nurse on campus.
Jeanette McFadden is the registered campus nurse. Her hours are from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday and her office is located in the Parks Fitness Center.

…that I could only drop six classes throughout my college career.
Students entering college for the first time since Fall 2007 are subject to Texas Senate Bill 1231 which limits students to a total of six drops in their entire college career at Texas public institutions. See student handbook Pages 5 and 6.

…that KCPD really will give me a ticket for not having a parking sticker or parking in staff parking.
Non-resident students should park anywhere there is an “S.” There is also KC designated parking off of Houston Street by the former Region VII Building. Parking stickers and vehicle registration papers can be picked up and filled out at the KC Police Station next to the Devall Student Center. The first sticker is free and any additional stickers are $5.

…that I should have had a receipt of enrollment with me for the first couple weeks of school.
Students can get a receipt of enrollment from the Cashier’s Office in the Devall Student Center. You will need a receipt of enrollment to get an ID, register for parking, buy books and show that classes have been paid.

…that if I had kept my grades up and had taken 12 coursework hours I could have been eligible for Phi Theta Kappa (national honor society for two-year colleges), Sigma Kappa Delta (English honor society), the KC Dean’s List or the President’s List.
To be eligible for PTK, a student must have completed at least 12 hours and must generally have a GPA of 3.5. In order to be eligible for SKD a student must maintain a GPA of 3.3 and earn no grade lower than a “B” in an English class and must have completed at least one semester of college studies. To make the Dean’s List, a student must complete 12 or more semester hours of non-developmental coursework and earn a GPA of at least a 3.5. To make the President’s List a student must have completed at least 12 semester hours of non-developmental coursework with a perfect 4.0. GPA.

…that tutors are available in the Student Support Building.
Students may go to the Student Support Building if they need help in a core subject. Tutoring is free but students must bring their ID. Tutoring is available from 7:45 a.m.- 6 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:45 a.m.- 3:45 p.m. on Friday.

…that I could be a tutor and get paid for it.
The Zone Tutoring Lab is looking for part-time tutors for the fall semester. To qualify, a student must have completed at least 30 hours of college credit, have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA and knowledge in the subjects to be tutored (math, English, reading, chemistry, Spanish, speech, computer science and other subjects), must possess strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively with little supervision and must be professional, courteous and trustworthy with confidential information. Students can stop by the Zone (Student Support Building, Room 119) and fill out an application or contact Ronda Callaway, Zone coordinator, at 903-988-7491. Two letters of recommendation are required for each applicant.

…that the Parks Fitness Center is free to students.
Students will need to swipe their Ranger card at the front desk when they enter and leave. The fitness center is open 5 a.m.- 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 5 a.m.- 7 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. Saturday; and 1- 6 p.m. Sunday. The fitness center is next to the Masters Gym.

…that Ranger football games are free for students.
General admission for home games is free for students who have their student ID. Home games are always held at R.E. St. John Memorial Stadium (south of the main campus).

…that you can be fined for not using the bridge.
The bridge is accessible to all and is an easy way to get across Highway 259. Crossing Highway 259 illegally can result in a fine, plus jay-walking can be hazardous to your health.

…that your student information can be easily accessed from Campus Connect.
Campus Connect is an online service that allows students to register for classes, see account status, class schedule, financial aid, payments, unofficial transcript, etc. Campus Connect can be accessed from www.kilgore.edu.

…that you can make copies on campus.
There are copy machines for student use in the Applied Technology Center and Old Main. These machines are coin operated. There are also copy machines available in the Watson Library.

…that I needed to activate my Ranger card.
In order to activate your Ranger card you must call the 1-800 number on the back or use the ATM in the Devall Student Center.

…that there is a lost and found in the KC police station.
This is a good place for students to look for lost possessions.

…that there are vending machines in Old Main and the Business Administration Building that offer school supplies.
Supplies include Scan-trons (full length, $2.50, short, $3), pens (prices range from $2.75 to $3.50), highlighters ($1.50), Blue Books ($.50), 2 gigabyte flash drives ($18), a small calculator ($5), individual packets of Tylenol and Advil ($1), Scotch tape ($2.50) and much more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *